How your foot and ankle specialist in Cary, NC, can help you
Sports are great. Not only are they a source of fun, but they also help keep you active and healthy. Unfortunately, no matter how well you play sports, you can still suffer a sports injury. The good news is, you can do a lot to prevent these issues. Dr. Jeremy Thomas at Triangle Foot & Ankle Specialist in Cary, NC, can help you keep your feet and ankles free from harm.
There are some simple tips and tricks to help protect you and your feet and ankles from a sports injury. Remember to:
- Always wear the appropriate protective gear for the sport you are playing, especially when you are playing a contact sport like football or soccer.
- Always wear the appropriate footwear, designed for the sport you are playing. This is especially important for sports where there is excessive foot stress, including tennis or running.
- Stretch your arches, toes, feet, ankles, and legs for several minutes before activity. Stretching keeps your muscles, tendons, and ligaments flexible.
- If you have been a couch potato or weekend athlete, start out slowly. Don’t overdo it, because when you are in poor condition, you run a greater risk of injury.
- Stay hydrated before, during, and after activity. Hydration leads to less fatigue, which leads to less chance of injury.
If you do experience a sports injury, there are some things you can do to get relief, including:
- Resting and taking weight off of the injury
- Placing ice packs on the injured area
- Bandaging the injured area
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medication
For severe sports injuries, your foot and ankle specialist can help get you back on your feet fast. Some common sports injuries that your foot and ankle specialist can treat include:
- Sprains and strains
- Fractured or broken bones
- Cuts. lacerations, or blisters
When you experience a sports injury, it’s great to know that you can count on your foot and ankle specialist. To learn more about preventing sports injuries, call Dr. Jeremy Thomas of Triangle Foot & Ankle Specialist in Cary, NC, at (919) 851-3435. Call today!