Your podiatrist in Southern Pines, NC, can help you get relief from plantar fasciitis pain.
Plantar fasciitis can cause excruciating heel pain and is a common condition among runners and others who experience a lot of foot stress. The good news is, your podiatrist can help you get relief from plantar fasciitis.
Dr. Jeremy Thomas of Triangle Foot and Ankle Specialist in Southern Pines, NC, offers comprehensive foot and ankle care, including plantar fasciitis treatment.
So, what is plantar fasciitis? It’s a condition in which the thick band of tissue running across your heel, known as the plantar fascia, becomes inflamed. You are at greater risk for plantar fasciitis if you:
- Are 40 to 60 years old
- Overpronate, or roll your feet when you walk
- Are flat-footed or carry excess weight
- Are a runner or practice other high-impact sports
- Stand or walk on hard surfaces for a long period of time
So, how do you know if you have plantar fasciitis? You may experience:
- Stabbing pain in your arch or the heel of your foot
- Foot pain that increases after you wake up
- Foot pain that becomes worse after exercising
- Foot pain that increases when you rise from a standing position
There are a few easy remedies you can try at home to relieve plantar fasciitis pain, including:
- Doing arch stretches daily
- Placing ice on your heel several times daily
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medication
- Changing to more supportive, comfortable shoes
- Avoiding going barefoot
If your plantar fasciitis symptoms are moderate to severe, it’s best to seek out help from your podiatrist, who may recommend:
- Physical therapy to help maintain mobility and flexibility
- Custom-fit orthotics to help support your foot
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Cortisone injections around your heel
You don’t have to suffer the pain of plantar fasciitis when relief is just a phone call away. To find out more about the causes and treatment of plantar fasciitis, ask Dr. Thomas of Triangle Foot and Ankle Specialist in Southern Pines, NC. Call (910) 757-0058 today!