How pediatric foot care from your podiatrist in Southern Pines, NC, can help your child.
Pediatric foot care is important, and it’s also often overlooked. Your child’s feet are going to help your child live an active, fun life, so you need to help protect your child’s feet from injury. Your podiatrist can help.
Dr. Jeremy Thomas at Triangle Foot and Ankle Specialist in Southern Pines, NC, offers comprehensive foot care for your entire family.
You want your child to not have to deal with pain, including foot pain. You also want your child to stand, walk, or run normally, free of foot problems. That’s where pediatric foot care comes in.
Pediatric foot care is important because it will:
- Help prevent your child from developing foot stress and pain
- Help diagnose potential foot problems early, so they can be treated early
- Help prevent infection from bacteria which can cause foot issues
- Help identify potential problems with foot growth and development
These are just a few of the common foot issues and conditions your child might experience as he or she grows:
- Flat feet
- Athlete’s foot
- Plantar warts
- Fungal toenail
- Ingrown toenails
- Frequent tripping
- Gait problems
- Ankle instability
- Sprains and stress fractures
You can do a lot to help prevent your child from experiencing foot, ankle, and toe problems like those listed above. Remember to have your child:
- Always wear appropriate footwear, to avoid foot injuries
- Wear socks and shoes that fit well, to avoid tripping
- Trim toenails straight across, with no rounded corners, to avoid ingrown toenails
- Wash their feet every day and dry them thoroughly to avoid infection
- Apply antibiotic cream and bandage any cuts or blisters to avoid infection
- Avoid going barefoot outside to avoid cuts and injuries
- Wear sandals in public areas to avoid fungal infections
Pediatric foot care should begin before your child begins to walk. Regular visits to the podiatrist should occur through childhood and teenage years.
To learn more about why pediatric foot care is important, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Jeremy Thomas of Triangle Foot and Ankle Specialist in Southern Pines, NC, at (910) 757-0058. Call today.